If a person's urine appears with blood, then it is known as Hematuria. This makes the urine to appear slightly to dark reddish in color.
Hematuria is mainly differentiated into two major types,
- Gross Hematuria
- Microscopic Hematuria
Fig : Hematuria Urine Samples
1. Gross Hematuria
If the Urine is visible as red, then it is known as Gross Hematuria. The other name of Gross Hematuria is Macro Hematuria. The Gross Hematuria can be easily diagnosed in the urine by the presence of blood.
2. Microscopic Hematuria
If a person's Urine is not visible as red, but blood in urine can be detected through Microscope is known as Microscopic Hematuria.
Fig : Hematuria and its types
Reasons for the cause of Hematuria
There are various causes for the occurrence of Hematuria. Some of them are:
- Infection or stones in the Urinary tract
- Side effects of certain Medications
- Kidney disorders such as infections or stones
Diagnosis of Hematuria
Hematuria can be diagnosed by the following methods of medical examinations such as:
- Abdominal X-ray: An abdominal X-ray detection for the diagnosis of kidney and urinary bladder.
- MRI scans: This method is used for the examination of the prostate and seminal vesicles and the functions.
- CT or MR Urography: This method is mainly used for the diagnosis of urinary bladder and urinary tract and then the kidney.
- IVP: IVP stands for Intravenous Pyelogram to detect the bladder and the rate of function in urine ejection.
- Blockage detection of Ultrasound method: This Ultrasound detection method helps to detect the blockages in bladder.
Treatment for Hematuria
As the Hematuria cannot be completely cured, certain medicines can be taken to stop the flow of blood in the urine and the pain of the urinary tract. But if there occurs any stones in the bladder or kidney then it can be treated by the following methods:
- Radiation therapy.